Ellen Stone Belic Presents: In Her Infinite Wisdom Joyce Carol Oates: The (Other) You In Conversation With Rebecca Makkai
In her latest short story collection The (Other) You Joyce Carol Oates ponders who her characters might have become if they’d chosen different paths. Through the imaginations of her contemplative protagonists, Oates—author of contemporary classic novels like We Were the Mulvaneys and Blonde—deftly detangles the complex circumstances that dictate who we turn out to be. Join Oates and Rebecca Makkai, author of Pulitzer Prize finalist The Great Believers, for a discussion of destiny, alternative realities, and our other selves.
- General Audience tickets are $$35, which includes access to the virtual event and a signed copy of The (Other) You directly to your door (U.S. addresses only). ALL tickets must be purchased online via Seminary Co-op directly. Phone orders or email requests cannot be accepted.
- This program is free to watch for CHF members at the Friends level ($125) and up, no need to register. These members will be emailed a link to enjoy the program on the event date. Books are available for purchase.
- Please note: this event will be livestreamed on March 25th at 7pm central time and registered guests will have a period of 7 days to enjoy the program.
- Registered guests will receive a link to watch the program from the Chicago Humanities Festival via email on the day of the event at the email address you used to make your purchase.
- All CHF’s virtual events have closed captions. To request another accessible accommodation, such as ASL interpretation or audio description, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will do our best to accommodate late requests, but to ensure a service provider is available, please try to make your request at least 2 weeks out from the event date.
- If you have questions about the virtual event, please contact the Chicago Humanities Festival.
- This event will be livestreamed with a live Q+A.
This program is generously underwritten by Ellen Stone Belic.
*Special note about registration: To improve your experience on our website, we are currently building a new ticketing system. In the meantime, you’ll notice different ways of registering for upcoming winter events. We know this can be confusing and we appreciate your patience as we build a better platform. Please reach out to email@example.com with any questions–we have a small staff and promise to reply as soon as we can!